Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bargaining?

...or more like bribery?

...or just manipulation.

Whatever you call it, I don't like it, not one bit.

The morning went fabulously...it was a beautiful day, we went to the park, ran some errands, played outside when we got home.  Then it was time to pick up toys outside before coming in for lunch.  Joshua demanded that I take him to the park again.  I told him that we may go to the park again after naptime if all is going well and if I have good listeners (i.e. him and Dustin).  He proceeded to NOT pick up toys, to continue riding his bike after I told him it was time to put it away, to tell me that things are "his toys and he can do what he wants with them", etc.  The toys in question have now been taken away for a full day.  

The icing on the cake was this:

"If you don't take me to the park then I'm going to hit you."

WHAT?  I wasn't sure if I had heard him right, so I asked him as calmly as possible to repeat himself.  He did, and I was still in shock.

Needless to say, we are not going to the park.  And if he does hit me, he'll have to deal with his Daddy.

Anyway... little attitudes.  I know he said it more for shock value, but where DO they get this from?  Seriously...

OK, so Meaghan gave me another 9 hours last night... glorious... no headache this morning (praise God!)...

3 comments:

  1. no fun! :( I have had those days (still do) especially with my youngest. It takes complete trust in God for wisdom and guidance on these topics..they seem to especially do this with a new baby...checking the limits and boundaries. Prayin' for you.
    Tama

    ReplyDelete
  2. what long sleeps at night, for a 3-week old! Glad your headache is gone and good luck dealing with the boys! Don't you hate it when you've done something nice, like take them to the park, and then you still get bad behaviour! Hopefully you and Joshua can have a nice, calm little talk this evening about this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, sometimes i think they want to be sure that life will still go on the way it did before babe and that you are still listening... you are. ;) Good job dealing so practically with such a *potentially* emotionally charged verbal exchange with your little man. I wonder too if they are accutely aware of how easily we are filled with hormonal guilt after baby. haa! regardless, you did well.--j

    ReplyDelete