Sunday, August 31, 2008

Update

Well... I went for a ride before church this morning. I don't usually exercise on Sundays, but I missed Friday, and yesterday was a write-off (my goal is to do Mon-Fri, with weekends off). I didn't have time to do my usual 20K, but I did about 18 instead. Pretty close. The problems were threefold - a) I got out the door too late; b) I didn't realize I was only in my "medium" big gear instead of my regular "high" gear; c) my legs were a bit off today and felt heavy, which is why I didn't notice the gear issue until over half-way through my ride.

My knee felt fine during the ride, but once I got off my bike... hooooo boy; I almost couldn't walk. I showered (thought it would be a nice gesture to the people we'd sit with in church), and immediately put on my brace. Took it off about 6 hours later; it still aches, but not as bad. I've never enjoyed wearing the brace, but today, it actually felt good to wear it. If this is what gets me by until my surgery, then I'll be thankful. I'm not in a position of luxury to be able to not exercise. So, I guess I'll have to put up with some pain.

A saddle update - well, I wasn't really intending on going out for a big ride so soon after my last painful ride. But with the new seat, today, I couldn't resist. And, even though I was still sore (probably more residual from my last ride), I wasn't in the "oh-my-goodness-I-have-GOT-to-get-off-NOW!" moment.

Interestingly, I actually read an article a while back about improper saddles, and that if the saddle you're using is the wrong one, then one symptom (aside from the obvious soreness factor) is that your feet/toes can tingle. I laughed - so that's why my feet have been falling asleep after about 12km! LOL!

We went to another church today - the Lutheran Church in town. We're currently "churchless" - having made a decision to leave our previous place of worship. Thankfully, I am still able to be involved in the ministries I've committed to already; they know me and trust me, and we're still friends, so it's not a problem. And Graeme is fine with it. The people at Bethel were SO friendly today! It was a nice service - the music was actually at a really good volume - not overbearing at all!! :) We definitely have some doctrinal questions. Of course we're concerned about the theology of where we'll attend, however, community is extremely important to us, too.

We took the boys out for a special treat tonight. We usually don't do that, but we decided to take them to DQ tonight. The boys each had a small dipped cone (we realized afterwards that they have child sizes!), I had a Buster Bar, and Graeme went for his usual Peanut Buster Parfait. The Buster Bar was definitely beyond what I should even be thinking, so I guess I'll have to reconcile that one tomorrow in my workout. My more immediate concern is my restless legs... they are already antsy, and ice cream is a major culprit. Poor Graeme. He tells me I "surf" at night. I guess it can get pretty bad.

I'm feeling tired. I'm thankful that Graeme is home tomorrow. Weather permitting, we'll go to Fort Edmonton Park, and Gramma & Grampa might join us. Looking forward to that!

On Tuesday, our second new technician starts. I might do some training with her on Wednesday. If not, I'll have one full day on Wednesday... then one half-day next Tuesday, and one half-day the following Tuesday. Then, PRAISE GOD!! - I'll be DONE!!

We've decided to get new windows in the house. We've had some major issues this past year, and didn't want to have to replace them, but we've decided to do it. It'll obviously set us back a bit, but we had to completely seal off all the windows last year.. and so I couldn't get any air flow going to air the place out in the winter. Not healthy!! Major air leaks, major frost buildup, a lot of seals broken between panes of glass... so, hopefully by mid-November, they'll be in. Hopefully the dead of winter will hold off...

We are also getting a new computer. Should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. We're getting a MAC. We've never gotten a *new* computer, and this one has been causing us a lot of grief, so we went through Graeme's brother Jordan and purchased a MAC. Hopefully it'll be a lot more stable. It's supposed to be!

I think I'm going to change my blog template a bit... I changed it the other day, but I'm not sure I like it overall...

No comments:

Post a Comment