Thursday, November 19, 2009

Transitions

I have felt for a couple of weeks like I am 'slipping'. Not sure if it's the change of seasons, hormones relaxing after Meaghan was born, the stress of our current situation and the associated lack of sleep, or....? But anyway, I feel like I've got to start fighting harder again. Fight to exercise, fight to keep the house cleaner, fight to not be irritable, fight to eat healthy, fight to stay level-headed, fight to offload this headache that has plagued me almost every day for a month now. If I don't fight, I will slip back to the place that I definitely don't want to go again. I can't afford to go *there* - for the sake of my children and my husband. I am scared.

Anyway...

In a few days one of my best friends will be moving away, to a whole 'nother province. I spent some time at her house last night, in the midst of packed boxes... I brought soup and sandwiches over for supper, and thankfully she still had a can opener unpacked. This dear lady, whose children are grown and off in college this year, has been a mentor, encourager, prayer warrior, and sounding board. She can still be all of those things, but hugs just aren't the same over the phone. I'm going to miss her. She is important to the boys, too, though I'm not sure they really understand that she's moving far, far away. Hopefully we can get a video chat thing working once she moves.

I have been blessed to have other women enter my life, too, though. No one will ever replace Karen, but God knows... and last night after I got home from Karen's, another friend came over. We sipped tea, ate granola bars, and chatted... even shared some unexpected tears. God has blessed me with some other really good girlfriends; I am so thankful for them. Some are only online, some live farther away and I only see them once every year or so, and some are in my community.

Each has a purpose. I wouldn't trade any of them for anything. God knows we need relationship and community. Even in the seasons of change, I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I completely understand what you are saying. In those seasons where it is extremly difficult just to maintain the status quo I often find that I am at battle within myself as well due to all the external things that I am trying to sort through and understand...that never helps. Lately, I have been learning exactly what the Bible means in Eph. 6...why we need the full armor of God. B/c we fight not against flesh and blood but against principalities and powers. And He has given us every weapon we need and greater is He who is in me than He that is in the world. Matthew 6 Seek FIRST the kingdom of God...and all these things (health, level headedness, clean house, grace and energy even with lack of sleep, etc.) will be added to you.
    I love you my friend and you add so much to my life even from afar. Hugs to you. :D
    Tama

    ReplyDelete