A new family moved in behind us in August. They have a little girl just a few weeks older than Meaghan. Visions of playdates have been dancing around in my head; the mom is expecting another baby in January. Her husband often chats with me over the fence; our families have exchanged phone numbers for the eventuality of such play dates.
I ran into the mother in Save-On the other night, around 10:30, as we both were scrambling to get some last-minute groceries for the next day. In our conversation, I learned that she is a dentist and owns her own practice. Her husband owns it with her, but he takes care of the business side of things.
She works all day at the clinic, and he works at home in the evenings.
Meaning HE'S the one home with their daughter during the day.
Meaning that any play dates that happen...? Do I even need to say any more? Do I even need to say how inappropriate it would be for me (alone with Meaghan certain mornings) and him (alone with his daughter) to be spending time in either of our homes for several hours?
I'm SO glad I ran into his wife the other night, otherwise I would not have known that it would be D and her dad... not D and her mom... *sigh* Now to try and explain the awkwardness of this situation to them and have them understand that it's not that I don't trust them... it's more about my reputation (and quite frankly, theirs too!) and witness... neighbors are quite given to chatter and gossip...
Am I overreacting?
In a word...NO. You're being wise. Alone- not a good idea. Perhaps with a group (doesn't have to be big) of other ' at home in the day' parents and tots. ie-- host such a gathering some a.m. and invite him and his daughter. Or, having the family over for lunch/supper...
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
K