Family.
Every time we anticipate the arrival of another wee one, or celebrate the birthdays of our ones already here, I am drawn to thoughts of family.
Let's see.
My dad refuses to talk to us, and we haven't seen him since Joshua was 4 months old. Joshua is now almost 6 1/2 years old. My father has never met Dustin or Meaghan.
Now, my mom. She hasn't even seen us since Meaghan was about 5 days old. She lives all of about an hour's drive away. Me going out there is not really an option at this point; I need to withhold details on this one at this point in time.
My brother? I've seen him all of 3 or 4 times in the last 13 years. He's met Joshua and Dustin once, and has never met Meaghan.
My children do not know my family. Most days, I'm fairly certain that I don't have one of my own.
Surprisingly, this doesn't upset me as much as you might think. Sure, it causes me to reflect...
- to reflect on how God saved me from walking the same path as my parents and brother. I might elaborate one day, but for now, I really need to leave details out.
- to reflect, as birthdays and special days come and go, on how it's *my family* that's really missing out.
- to reflect on the beautiful gifts in *friends* that God has instead blessed me with.
You see, I do have some "dads" who have spoken into my life. Bruce, who still gives the best hugs ever, and who was the only man to interrogate Graeme when we first started dating. If I could've, I would've asked Bruce to walk me down the aisle on my wedding day. Then there's Dave - quiet, but sooooo wise. Men of honor, integrity, Godliness.
I also have some "moms"... Bruce's wife, Donna, who ministered to me soon after I'd left home, and helped me learn how to let people love me. She taught me about hot iced tea. She is one of the most insightful and Godly women I know. Having raised 4 children of her own and now enjoying grandchildren, I see her as the woman I want to be when I grow up.
Brothers. Jerry - about the age of that my eldest brother would be had he lived. I met him when Graeme and I first started dating - he was married with 2 children, and was Graeme's youth sponsor in high school. I worked for him for just over 2 years, and in that time, came to love (and sometimes hate!) him for his humor, antics, and care for our family. There's another guy - kind of like Jerry. Two men who are exactly what I would've envisioned a brother to be. They care about me, challenge me, and drive me crazy - sometimes not knowing when they've crossed the line. They are good friends with my husband, and their wives are also good friends with us.
Sisters. I presently have a few of them. And a couple of mom/sister type people - sometimes not sure where to categorize them. :) Encouragers, challengers, friends, shoulders. Non-judgmental, honest, and caring. Exactly what I've always wanted in a sister, and I think what God would've intended, too.
Extended family - too numerous to mention, but chances are good that if you read this blog, you're part of that extended family - wanna be cousins? :)
So, in all honesty, while there are some holes in my life, they are made much smaller by the space that these other "family" members take up in my heart. It's good. God is good and faithful. He does not leave us as orphans...
I have a family. It's not the one He gave me in my childhood, but it's the one that I'm growing up in. I love my family.
i'm sorry your biological family has not been as God designed family, but thankful He's given you others to fill those spots :)
ReplyDeleteI could have written this post myself... God sure is good at filling our needs in ways we couldn't have imagined.
ReplyDeleteI am currently working on a memory book of my wonderful family - I guess I shouldn't take my upbringing for granted! This time of year must be particularly difficult for you. Glad some others have come along beside you to help fill in those gaps.
ReplyDeletemel - watching you walk through something that is so unfamiliar to me - has broadened my perspective in a good way.
ReplyDeleteMay you continue to refuse to be defined by your past - and instead cling to your title of Child of God.