Monday, September 10, 2007

Doing right the wrong way?

So, I've been reflecting lately.

People can be so harsh and rude sometimes. Then you walk away feeling like garbage because of how they treated you.

Case in point: the other day I was doing something and I was reprimanded by someone for not doing it correctly.

Okay, so I don't mind being told if I'm doing something wrong. Or if I need to be corrected. But I much prefer to be corrected in a non-*stupid* manner - i.e. I don't like to be made to feel like I'm an imbecile. Nobody does. You'll get farther with me if you treat me like an adult.

So here's the deal - A scripture came to me as I was drifting off to nap this afternoon. I can't remember the reference (I need to seriously brush up!), but the scripture says "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." (I think it must be in Proverbs.)

Similarly, I wonder that if we, as a human race, chose to treat each other differently when it came to correcting each other - be it a boss correcting an employee, a parent correcting a child (even sometimes grown children), or a child correcting another child - that we could perhaps have a more harmonious existence. Can we then paraphrase the scripture to say, "A gentle rebuke/correction turns away wrath, but a harsh rebuke/correction stirs up anger"??

Okay, so I suppose that if someone doesn't really care about their relationships with the people they've just corrected, then they may feel free to continue harshly rebuking. However, if we actually cared about one another, and desired to carry our relationships farther than a simple superficial level, then perhaps we need to re-evaluate how we treat each other and in what tone of voice we speak in our challenges and suggestions.

So, there you have it. My rant for the day. Take it lovingly. :)

1 comment:

  1. bah yes, Mollen fell off a zipline at the park in Kelowna & slightly fractured a bone under her knee. Poor little thing is so sick of her cast (& so are we all!) Hoping to get it off soon!

    ReplyDelete