Friday, October 7, 2011

Miscellaneous

Sometimes a brilliant blog post title doesn't come.

I really want Spencer's face fixed.  The oozing has started again.  Most of the rash is gone, but there are these two residual patches - one on each cheek - that refuse to give in completely to the medication.  He seemed pretty good last night, but then all day today he's been rubbing and scratching and oozing and kinda grumpy with his face and head.  Poor hunny.  I really *really* don't want to know what the next step is... or wait, maybe I do want to know, but I don't want to have to go there.

Sometimes.... sometimes God puts someone else in your path, and you just *know* it's His doing.  I could never orchestrate something so profound.  I'm thankful tonight for a new friend.  Don't worry, I'm not replacing any of my old friends.  It's just... well, God is cool that way.

Dustin does handsprings.  Graeme has *shudder* been letting the boys watch certain scenes out of Spiderman... the 'safe' scenes (are there any, really?)... and so Dustin comes upstairs and says to me, "Mommy, do you want to know how Spiderman does his flips?"  I don't even get a chance to answer before he says, "Like THIS!" - and proceeds to do a perfect handspring.  WHAT??  He's, umm, 5.  I need to get this kid into some kind of serious gymnastics program before he kills himself.  He has no clue that he's not invincible.  He learned last week how to execute a front flip (no hands) on a trampoline and land on his feet.  I finally gave up telling him "NO, Dustin, NO front flips!" - well, he was doing them anyway, so I told him that he was no longer allowed to land them on his bum; he has to land on his feet (less whiplash to the neck that way).  So after about another 20 attempts, he got it.  And again. And again and again and again.  But he's not allowed to do them if I'm not watching.

Oh, and then Dustin decided - after he'd done his post Spiderman-viewing two-hand handspring - to try a single-hand handspring.  And he nailed it.  In my living room.

Oh, and then he decided that if he could do a front flip on a trampoline without the use of his hands, that he should be able to do a front flip, no hands, in my living room.

That didn't go so well.  He landed on his back, thankfully (what on EARTH? - he actually rotated and made it all the way around to his back???), but we told him "no way!"  No more.  Gah!!!!!  How this child has not landed in an emergency room yet is beyond my comprehension.

Meaghan is potty trained.  Did I mention that somewhere?  Right around 28 months.  I'd gotten about 80% of the way there before Spencer came along, but I couldn't continue after he was born.  So I gave us all some breathing room and resigned myself to diapering two children.  Well, 4 months after he was born, I thought I was ready to try again.  Got the toilet seat ready with the little insert downstairs... potty upstairs... and juice in sippy cups (so that she wouldn't spill - we normally use regular cups with water or milk - we're not juice junkies, but juice is such a novelty that I knew she'd fill her bladder quickly!)... she was great on day one, resisted on day two, and somehow woke up dry on day three, after a 12-hours nighttime sleep.  Had an OK day on day three, and woke up dry again on day four.  I still had her in diapers at night, but she ended up night training before day training; however, she was day-trained very quickly also - inside of a week - and so we gave all her diapers to Spencer and she's a big undie-girl now!  She's been "trained" for almost a month now.  I have rules - always go potty before a meal, and before and after nap time... and beyond that, I don't bother.  She always tells me when she needs to go.  She has had all of about 5 accidents in the last 3 weeks.  Not bad, little girl!  Not bad at all!!

Joshua is a machine on the piano.  I might video something and upload it to here one day.  'Cuz he's been playing for only a year, and he's just that good.  He's 7.  He is really owning it, too - he loves to go practice almost as much as he loves to read.  Such an awesome kid.  He also willingly takes Meaghan to the bathroom if she requests to go and I'm busy nursing Spencer or something.  He's even wiped her bum!!  How many 7-year-old boys wipe their 2-year-old sister's bum?

Some guy in line in front of me at the grocery store was rearranging my groceries for me the other night as I was taking them out of my cart.  It was odd.

I thought it would be a good idea to buy some pepper plants - chill peppers - in the spring to toss into my garden.  I figured I'd get maybe 5-6 peppers on each of the 6 plants.  Umm, so far I've given away about 60 peppers, and the other day I counted 138 left.

I smell like baby puke.  My head is spinning (it's nearly midnight).  My eyes are bloodshot, and my brain is ready to hit the hay.  This has become a very, very random post... and since I haven't actually dumped my camera card yet, well, you get a post full of words, but no pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment