Monday, March 1st, 2010
Lemons & Limes
Today was still a stormy day right on the coast, for much of the morning. Meaghan played in our room.
Graeme was able to down to the beach and do some reading, but eventually gave up for the wind.
We spent part of the day driving around and finding little gems on the coast. We went to this huge clothing & souvenir shop called Hilo Hattie's. There, we found... umm... lots of stuff, but nothing useful to bring home with us, unless we wanted to bring home MORE chocolate-toffee-covered macadamia nuts!
So we brought home some note pads for the kids.
The sun finally came out, so we walked around in Lahaina for a while, and found this neat little restaurant RIGHT at the water's edge. The place was called Bubba Gump's. It was, bar none, one of the neatest and most fun little restaurants I've ever eaten in. Of course, it was all about the Shrimp, but I had a cobb salad (mmmm, greens!) with a skewer of shrimp on the side. It was phenomenal!
The neatest thing about this restaurant was just the sheer amount of fun the staff had. This would be the type of place that I would want to waitress in, if I ever got the notion to do such a thing.
Like I said, the restaurant was right above the water. The windows were opened and we could look down and see the water right below us. The view was unbelievable, and I count ourselves fortunate to have gotten a window seat.
They had these license plate signs on the table. The blue one, "Run, Forrest, Run" indicated to the waiter/waitress that all was fine at the table. If you flipped it to the red license plate, "Stop, Forrest, Stop!", it meant that you needed something.
Now, if you actually dared to flip the sign, someone would come RUNNING to your table, and declare, "Oh NO! What can I get for you folks?" As if it was the most urgent thing in the world... I guess you had to be there. They made quite the scene about it, and it was very entertaining.
The service was excellent and the atmosphere was fun. I wish we'd taken more pictures. Happiest restaurant experience yet.
Our main waitress was this cute little Romanian girl. She apparently gets free rent, as long as she goes out sailing with her landlord on her days off. Aaaah, the life!
And of course, everyone made a big deal about us being from CANADA and how raucous us Canadians were when we won gold at the Olympics with that sensational hockey game...
After lunch, we came back to the unit for naps, then out to buy some groceries so we could eat supper in for a change, went for a walk, ate supper, went for another walk...
Very relaxing day.
Did you *get* the reference to the lemons & limes? It refers to our entirely unintentional coordination of clothing for the day...
i've had good friends go to bubba gump's and loved it there too! :)
ReplyDeletecute lemon lime photo!