Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Home Stretch

I am very thankful that BLAH is almost over. I know, it's not Tuesday, but I just wanna post here anyway.

I am tired.

But I am determined!! Only 3 more days of insanity... and then Graeme said he's taking me out for dinner on Tuesday night! :) I think he's got pizza or a big juicy burger or something equally bad for me in mind, but I'm thinking that I'd feel beyond sick if I did that to myself.

OK, I am a freakishly obsessive stat-keeper, and I am actually surprised at the mileage and hours I've put in. I'm *finally* compiling March and April's stats into my computer (transferring from my paper records), so I'm just now seeing some of the numbers. I can't wait to share them with you!

On Tuesday. :)

I am also REALLY looking forward to slowing down. I can hardly imagine what it would be like to go for a bike ride or a run *just because I want to*. And to let a 45-minute workout be *enough*.

I am not yet where I want to ultimately be weight-wise, but this one thing I know: I am stronger and healthier. I feel really, really good inside and out. The last 10-20 lbs (I'm not sure where it'll settle yet, but I have a goal in mind) will come off much slower than the first 35, and I'm totally OK with that. I'm ready to live again outside of the gym. I am not going to be going quite as hard at it, though I'd still like to take the rest of it off by the beginning of July. That'll figure to about a pound a week minimum, which, in light of my rate of loss with the work I've been doing, should be totally do-able with a little less work.

I've got some workout buddies starting to come out of the woodwork. April, a young lady from church who has one sweeeeet little girl, has started to exercise at the same gym I do, and we're both late-night workout girls. So we've hooked up a few times, and I've told her that I'd love to be more intentional about working out WITH her once BLAH is done - by the time she gets there, I'm often almost done, or about to hop in the pool...

Kerry is another - my inspiration for running and all things biking related!! We discovered this amazing route on our bikes a few nights back, which came right alongside the North Saskatchewan River. We are planning on running the Canada Day 15K. I still haven't registered; I guess I should do that.

And, Monica is another! This one hit me out of the blue, but last week she told me she's back on the exercise wagon, so if I ever wanted to go for a run with her... Here's the thing - running is SO individual. Everyone has different running styles, and I'm afraid that I'll hold her back. Or pace out differently than she does. So, we need to talk. :)

OK, enough blithering. I really need to get another workout video done, and shower, and then settle in to either do some taxes, or go to bed! Graeme is out with Tim tonight...

3 comments:

  1. i took it easy after the 1st competition, for a few weeks. like, REALLY easy. skip a few days of workouts all together. you deserve the rest and your body will probably need it :) then you can get into it and decide what your new 'normal' can/should be :)
    ALMOST DONE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what type of a gym do you work out at? & do you just have a pass? Do you have a family pass, or just one for you? i want more details... i'm curious how that type of thing would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly - yeah, I do want to take a break - for at least two days!! Problem is now that I actually *have* workout buddies, they're not gonna let me slack. :) But, it will be a pleasure to go for a one-hour ride instead of a two-hour gut-busting ordeal at the gym. I am looking forward to my new normal.

    I AM going to sign up for that 15K, and Graeme said he's going to ditch the kids (it's an early start) and come watch. What a trooper - ha ha!

    Paige - I work out at Millennium Place. It's kind of the big complex in Sherwood Park - big family pool, huge lap tank, massive fitness area, two soccer fields, two rinks, you get the picture. I have a Millennium Pass; it costs about $35 a month, but I go enough to make it WELL worth it. I could let it go and get a punch pass, which is still cheaper than paying for each individual time. However, the kids piggyback onto my pass for $11 a month each, and we go swimming and to the indoor playground a lot that it's well worth it also. If I had to sign them up separately, it would cost a lot more. I'm not sure what they would do for a larger family - I know you can get family punch passes, but I don't think they do a monthly rate. I'm just not sure!! Graeme does not have a pass (ha!), but if he did, his would be cheaper than mine (as a spouse pass).

    The Millennium Pass allows me access to all drop-in classes, the skating rinks, and two other rec facilities in Sherwood Park. So, it IS a really good deal, especially if I go more than 6 times in a month - which I totally do.

    I do wish it was cheaper. But then again, I've gotten so much healthier in the last year and a half that we've had the pass... it's hard to put a price on that.

    Best thing would be to call around to the various places in town and see what they offer and how it works!

    ReplyDelete