Thursday, April 5, 2007

Oh, my achin' feet!

I got home shortly before 10:00 tonight. I'd been standing for almost 4 1/2 hours by the time 9:45 rolled around. Why, you ask? Well, I had an ensemble pre-rehearsal rehearsal (no, that's not a typo!) from 5:15 till 6:00. Then I was asked last night if I would sing for Good Friday service, as they needed an alto. So that rehearsal was from 6:00 till 7:00 tonight. Then our entire rehearsal for Sunday's service was from 7:00 till 9:45 - choir, ensemble, band, full sound system - everyone put together, finally.

I'm beat. You'd think that for singing for 4 1/2 hours, my voice would be exhausted. But no, it's my feet.

I seem to be having trouble with my heels lately. I'd been going out for walks, and I was having troubles with shin splints. Well, those are pretty much a non-issue, thanks to the physio I've been doing. But I've been spending a lot more time in meal preparation lately, standing in one spot on my hardwood floor in the kitchen. I noticed about a couple weeks ago that my feet were hurting, so I got a pair of 'indoor' shoes to help alleviate the pressure. Well, standing for hours on end tonight certainly did me in. This is why tomorrow will be called a 'sacrifice of praise' - it's going to cost me. It honestly feels like I jumped onto a cemented floor from about 10 feet up, and landed on bare feet and bruised my heels. It's strange. It hurts!!

I soaked my feet tonight - didn't help one iota. Owie. Oddly enough, I want to go for a run just to get moving and get some blood flowing to my feet a little more thoroughly! If anyone has any helpful hints for really sore heels, send me an e-mail. I'd be more than happy to hear any solutions you might have to offer.

Okay, funny story for the evening. We have this one song that we're doing called "He Lives" - no, it's not the hymn or any usual arrangement - it's a choir-type song, where the ensemble has quite a few extra things. We rehearsed this around 8:30, by which time many of us were exhausted. Well, the last note of the song is a high-ish F. Not the F right above middle C, but the F above the C above middle C. How would one describe that note?

I digress.

Okay. So the song builds. This amazing ensemble portion comes through - some vocal layering, etc. Being the soprano that I am (in the ensemble, there are 2 sops, 2 altos, and 2 tenors), and being as confident as I am, I was just beltin' it out. Getting ready for the huge finish. The music stops (as is written) just before the big notes...and Melissa starts singing He LIIIIIIIIIIIVES!!!! Hit the note perfectly.

No one else is singing. The band doesn't come back in. I stop, wondering what on earth is going on!!??

Vanessa says, "Wow - that was a great note!"

I just about died.

Then I was told, "Good for you for coming in - the rest of us missed it!"

Whew - so I was the only one who 'got it'...everyone else missed the timing. While it was nice that I got it right, it was still really awkward. But, better me feel flustered and be right and have everyone else be wrong...a little less embarrassing. I was still beet red...but, well...yeah. We all had a good laugh at that. I'm just glad I didn't screw it up royally with 30 other people looking on... I still stuck out like a sore thumb but at least I stuck out properly!

If you need a place to worship on Easter Sunday, you're welcome at our service - The Park Pentecostal Church, 1 Brower Drive (east of Superstore about 20 seconds' drive), 10:30 a.m. Maybe everyone will join me on the last note that morning and my face won't turn as red as the shirt I'll be wearing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment