A year ago today...
...I woke up and realized I was in early labour (6-ish a.m.)
...I *finally* called Graeme's mom and asked her to come pick up Joshua (10-ish a.m.)
...I packed up a few things, and talked to Graeme a few times (he was at work)
...I probably did some e-mailing. I'd be surprised if, when I get to heaven, that the video tape of my life showed me not e-mailing!
...I went out for a walk...and I walked...and I walked...and I walked...I didn't want to go to the hospital too early, and while the contractions were close enough together, I knew I'd just get sent home anyway.
...I enjoyed the fabulous sunshine! It was a day very much like today - about 5-10 degrees outside, sunny, slight breeze. It was gorgeous.
...I sat on a park bench (as the contractions kept coming) and took a break. I'd been walking for probably 45 minutes already. I sat, watched the kids playing in the field in front of me, and also began to read "Captivating" by John & Staci Eldridge (I probably spelled that wrong).
...I went home...had some lunch...tried to rest a bit but the contractions were too *bothersome* so I watched TV instead. Irony of all ironies - I think "Baby Story" was on.
...I finally called the pharmacy again (2-ish p.m.). Barb, I think, answered...and questioned my status, and promptly kicked Graeme out the door to come home to his *still* laboring wife.
...We finished packing up a few last-minute things, took a picture of me with my big belly, and headed out the door shortly after 4 p.m.
...We got to the hospital, and while I was far enough along to be admitted, they gave me a choice to leave and come back later (even though the contractions were 3-4 minutes apart, sometimes less). With Joshua, they made me walk for hours on end...and seriously, given the choice, I'd much rather walk outside, in a park, in a parking lot, even...those hospital hallways get pretty short pretty fast! Booooorrrring! So we left.
...We walked to a strip mall, and went for dinner. Didn't eat too much - I believe it was Wendy's actually. Graeme would know for sure. I *wanted* Taco Bell, but he said "no way"! Found out later that I shouldn't have eaten. I felt fine, but the nurses berated me anyway.
...We went back to the hospital around 7 p.m., where I was finally admitted. Decided I was in enough pain to not want to wander too far! Soon after, I asked for the 'labour tub'...oh, my, it was amazing!! A-MAY-ZING! I'd highly recommend it.
...The rest, I'll leave. You don't need the gorier details. Several hours later (at 2:39 a.m.), my little Dustin was born. I remember how overjoyed I was - I hadn't been looped out with all kinds of crazy drugs like I was with Joshua - I actually got to fully enjoy the first minutes after his birth. I got to nurse him right away. I got to kiss his sweet bruised head (he came SO fast once he decided he was ready!). His first visitor was my mom, around 9:00 a.m. I felt amazing.
I just loved the fact of today being a year since I laboured with my little man. And today being such a perfect day.
Aaaah....memories....
I love my boys...*dreamy sigh*...
No comments:
Post a Comment