I had become friends with this one particular family whose daughters and son I'd ministered with at camp. It had been a rough autumn for me; parents split up, I had recently received a nasty horrible letter from my dad, etc. The Olsons invited me to join their family for Thanksgiving.
Now, the Olsons weren't just a small family (mom, dad, 3 grown children). They had a HUGE extended family that lived in Three Hills. There must've been 30 or 40 of us heading out to Dry Island Buffalo Jump near Red Deer(ish). I could be wrong and it might've been less people, but it felt like one massive happy family.
It was a potluck.
It was a gorgeous setting. The weather was around 15 degrees, and the fall leaves were brilliant with color.
We hiked, we played baseball, we sang songs together (what an incredibly musically gifted family!), and we fellowshipped.
It was sweet.
Time has passed, and I still remember that day with fondness. I will never forget the gift that God gave me in the Olson family.
Love the Olson Family!!!!! I can totally picture it! Happy Thanksgiving Mel.
ReplyDeleteTama
Tama - you know the Olson family? Ray & Cory & Janna & Karla & Ryan?
ReplyDeleteWow. Small world. I mean, I knew you probably sang with Karla on Ambassadors, but I didn't think you really knew the family!
Yes, they're awesome.
Happy Thanksgiving to you, too!!
Melissa