Monday, October 27, 2008

OVbunEN

Here's my ongoing journal that I started waaay back in August as a draft post.  Time to let the world know!  (This might be kinda boring to some of you... skip if you wish... but it's my thoughts over the last 2 1/2 months.... scary, hey?)

Monday, August 18h, 2008... I had an inkling. I also had a test left over from a 2-pack (I always buy them in 2-packs - much cheaper!). So I took the test... and... I passed!!

Shock. Oh yeah. We want another baby... but weren't really expecting to be expecting so soon!! - I am still plagued with a number of health issues... I'm a little afraid... definitely caught off guard. I wonder, how did this happen? But then I guess I already know the answer... The good news that comforts me is that this baby is not a surprise to God. But still, I'm a little freaked out. How on earth will handle 3, when sometimes I can't even handle 2?? Then I think of my friend Paige, who has just recently had #6. She seems to be doing just fine.

I spent the rest of the day in a daze.


Thursday, August 21st... I finally got up the nerve to tell Graeme. We just decided to leave our church in search of something a little more "Graeme-friendly". Graeme made another decision regarding work. I knew it was the time to tell him.. until now, he's either been in a bad mood, or preoccupied with something else... but I got that thumping in my chest that God uses to signify to me that it's the right time. So I go to the office, pull out the 3 1/2 day old stick, and put it in my pocket. I tell him that "big things" come in 3's... and show him the stick. It takes a few seconds to register, but then he gets all weepy and hugs me. OK, he's happy. I was honestly afraid that he'd be a little worried/disappointed/upset, especially since we weren't "planning" on another one quite yet. But he's happy. Whew!



Friday, August 22nd... off to Jerry & Faith's to spend a night playing Bid Wist. I've vowed to make this the healthiest pregnancy ever and to gain *only* the necessary weight, as I'm overweight to begin with... admittedly, that's kind of hard when the hosts stick big bowls of munchies in front of you. I was successful in drinking several glasses of water, and eating just a few little munchies. I was able to keep the bowl on the other end of the table.


Saturday, August23rd... I'm still trying to figure out when this baby is supposed to be due. For the life of me, I just can't get my dates straight. With the hormone replacement cream I've been using, I've been diligent to write down all the important dates... but for some reason, I neglected to in July. So, this baby could theoretically be due anytime from middle to end of April. Just what the family needs - the LaRue family already has about half a dozen April birthdays!!


Monday, August 25th - I go to see my family doctor. Graeme came for moral support, and told the doc that we're having another baby. He got up and shook our hands and congratulated us. I was a little nervous about his response, as he's made allusions before to the stress that the boys bring upon me, and that I needed a little girl. He also asked me about a year ago if Graeme was going to get a vasectomy (the boys were particularly troublesome that day in his office). Anyway, today, his reaction was positive. Whew!


Tuesday, August 26th - I went up to see my family doc's receptionist, as I had some information for her from my ob/gyn. She took down the info for me, and then told me I should talk to the doctor myself, so she just got me in! A totally impromptu appointment - he did a bunch of work-up on me, including ordering an early ultrasound (which I'll do in a couple of weeks) to figure out when this little one will show up. He weighed me (ugh!) and then took my blood pressure. I told him that he should've taken my BP first... that weighing me probably made my BP shoot up by about 10 points! My BP was fine - 100/60. Pretty standard for me. No wonder I'm dizzy all the time. And that BP was taken JUST after I'd been walking...

So I'm doing OK in the food & exercise department. Yesterday I made two very large very yummy veggie skillets, and went for a 20km bike ride at a slower pace than my usual. I then did about half an hour of moderate weights. As far as I'm concerned, as long as I'm not over-exerting, I'll be OK. Must keep breathing!! :) Today, I had a banana and a cuke for lunch, along with 3 crackers and a small chunk of cheese. And I did about 40 minutes on the rower until my body told me to stop. The boys are at Gramma & Grampa's tonight; tomorrow I'll sleep in a bit, and maybe go for a big bike ride again. As long as I can, I shall. I'll be careful, Mommy!

I'm using a website called babyfit.com to monitor food and nutrients. I'm doing well in the calorie dep't, but my diet is definitely lacking in the iron and folate categories. I definitely need to figure out how to get more of those very valuable and necessary nutrients!!

So I went off a medication cold-turkey on Thursday on the advice of my pharmacist, and so far, after 5 days without, no side effects - at least not the ones you would expect. I am beyond thankful for that!!

I was counting the other night, and realize I have about a dozen pregnant friends right now. I'll have to do an accurate count soon.

Time for bed. I have to pee first, though. Story of my pregnant life.


Friday, August 29, 2008 - Not really much going down these days. Still lovin' the veggies, still exercising. Did a 25km ride on Wednesday, which was good, but I paid for it yesterday with my sore knee. Surgery? Well, that's out the window now. I should really call and take myself off their list. No surgery with a bun in the oven! I went for a good really brisk 2 mile walk last night, though - first time for a power-walk without kiddies, and it was sure different!

Did I mention I'm not a fan of adrenaline rushes by the way of dogs chasing me while I'm on my bike? Sheesh.

There are 3 cherry pies in the oven. A customer of Graeme's has us come over and pick cherries - this is the second time we've gone in 3 years. The first year, they were only suitable for making jelly. This year, I'm trying my hand at my first ever cherry pies. Thankfully, I don't really like cherry pie, so I won't be tempted to dig in. It's all for Graeme (and the boys, if they'll like it... not sure).

Kids are not napping well today. I'm really tired. Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to grab a nap when Graeme comes home??

I have my first ultrasound booked for September 10th. Karen is going to babysit the boys for me. It's so funny - the receptionists (I've had to call around for a date that worked for Graeme to come, too!) always ask me how far along I am... and for the first time, I have to respond that I haven't got a clue!!

Time to clean up the kitchen. Good thing I'm *allowed* up to 300mg of caffeine per day. I think a Coke Zero has something like 34 mg. I could really use it right now. It'll be my first caffeine in days...


September 3/08 - Strange few days.  The fatigue is definitely settling in, and boy do I have to fight it!!  The desire to exercise is gone out the window as well, however, I went for a 7-mile ride in the almost-dark tonight anyway (I have a headlight for my bike).

My appetite is all over the place - yesterday I found all foods (even steak and corn on the cob!) to be bland... yet today, I am insatiably hungry.  My tummy growls at midnight or later, so tonight I had a toast snack around 10:00, which I never do!!  We'll see how that helps.

Only a week until my first ultrasound... I'm excited!!

I'm also exhausted and am having trouble keeping my head upright and eyes open as I type.. time for bed!


September 7/08 -The nausea is heading full force.  I wake up feeling disgusting, feel fine for about 20 minutes after I eat something, and then feel disgusting again.  As much as I am determined not to gain much weight, I can see how it can happen - if food is the only thing that can settle my queasy tummy, then how do I avoid a ridiculous amount of weight gain?  

The good news is that I feel pretty good between 4:00 and 8:00 at night.  Whew.

The other good news is that while I feel pretty garbagey most of the time, I can still exercise.  I pushed past it yesterday as Graeme and I rode our bikes for 2 1/2 hours in the River Valley.  

Such fun!!I am somewhere between 7 and 9 weeks.  I'll find out on Wednesday with my ultrasound!!  


September 17/08 - went to the lab to have all my prenatal bloodwork done today.  My GP also ordered a GDS (gestational diabetes screening) - not sure why, since that's not usually done until somewhere around 32 weeks or so.  At any rate, I'm sitting there waiting my turn, and all of a sudden I realize that women are popping these drinks left, right, and centre!!  There were FIVE of us taking the GDS test - you have to drink this orange crush-like carbonated drink - I actually quite like it.  Then you have to wait around for an hour.  I was the only one who didn't look pregnant enough to be doing the test, but whatever.  

Then I read Jen's blog last night, and she had her GDS test yesterday, too!  I wish I could've shared that funny coincidence with her yesterday, but we still haven't told anyone about the pregnancy.

Oh yes, my ultrasound last week went well - baby is due April 27th.  I'm about 8 1/2 weeks along now.


September 18/08 - I can't believe I've known for a month already that we're having another baby.

I was out tonight at worship team.  Graeme put the kids to bed.  He asked Joshua if he'd like to have another little baby brother or sister.

Joshua's answer?  "Oh yes, I'd like that!  Maybe one of each!  But do you think you could make sure they're cute?"

Then... "Daddy, where do babies come from?"

Kids.  Such inquisitive little beings!


Monday, October 20th - So I've not been on much lately.  Been too sick!  By now everyone knows about the 12-day fever, the UTI, and the bronchitis.  A couple people have joked that i might be pregnant, but I retort that you don't get a 12-day fever because you're pregnant!  That being said, the pregnancy explains WHY I was sick for so long.  Yay immune system.

We told family last weekend, at Thanksgiving.  The response was not very enthusiastic, however, I think it largely has to do with the fact that I was still feeling really sick and was not very enthused myself.  We'd intended for Dustin to say, "I'm thankful because I'm going to be a big brother."  However, in 'rehearsal', the word "brother" came out like some sort of unrepeatable expletive, so we nixed that plan and got Joshua to announce it instead.

I sent my mom a picture of a bun in an oven (courtesy of Graeme's mom's oven and a leftover bun from dinner the other night), but she hasn't replied yet.  Sure, the phone would be easier, but not as fun.  I go for the 'fun factor' when telling family and close friends.

Speaking of fun factor, I made a HUGE gift bag for my friend Karen.  At Dustin's birthday party in April, she and her family had the boldness to write a strange shopping list for me, including items such as a train (which I fashioned out of play-doh), a worm (I love the dollar store), kraft dinner, chocolate, coke, 2 frogs, and a bunch of other things... oh yes, and a baby sister.  I bought a gender-neutral-colored balloon which was covered in rattles and bottles and other such baby paraphernalia, and wrapped it up in tissue and wrote "open me last".  I thought for SURE that by the 3rd or 4th item, she'd figure it out (and remember the list, 'cuz it was so disjointed, who could forget?), but nope... not until she opened the balloon.  I then showed her the list and she clued in even more as to WHY I'd given her such strange items.  Of course she was happy.  Her daughter, though, didn't even 'get it' until she saw the list and had the "sister for J&D" pointed out to her.  Too funny!!

We plan on letting the whole world know later this week.  Today I am 13 weeks (or maybe it was yesterday?) - so by the end of the week I'll officially be out of my first trimester.  I haven't heard the heartbeat yet since I've been sick - Baby was fine at our 7 1/2 week ultrasound, but I want to make sure he/she is OK before we make this totally public knowledge.  I have a doc's appt on Wednesday, at which point we SHOULD be able to hear the heartbeat.

Gotta get those kiddies dressed and out the door - it's SO windy today, I do NOT want to be outside.  One of my pet peeves with my own personal pregnancies is that while most women roast, I freeze.  It feels like I'm constantly feverish, it's *that* kind of chill.  I go through most of the 9 months with a sweater.  Just plain backwards.  Anyway....


October 27th/08 - I feel generally gross.  I am 14 weeks now.  I worked out last night, for which I'm really thankful, but the nighttime is my *best* time.  I'm swimming quite a bit, but not eating very well.  Gone are the healthy cravings, replaced with the unhealthy cravings - if it's made of pure salt or pure sugar, I'm a happy girl.  Mind over matter, I keep telling myself.  Tell the hormones that, though!

I still haven't let the facebook world know yet - I have to tell some people at church first, tomorrow.  I just feel so nauseous that it's hard to feel that 'pregnancy glow' that I'm sure doesn't exist one iota.  :) 

I had my doctor's appointment last week - all is well.  The heartbeat was 164.  Obviously a girl, one might say, however, Joshua was 160-170 bpm until he was about 8 1/2 months gestation.  No bets on the gender of the baby from the heart rate alone, I'll tell ya that much!

The nurse was funny... she told me that I'd lose some weight, and asked if I'd been sick.  I was thinking that she certainly didn't read my chart from last time that I'd been really sick, but I explained to her anyway, then jokingly said, "At least I have it to lose."  She was far too quick to agree with me.  I'm overweight, but not THAT much!!  Sheesh!!

Oh, by the way, my mom thought the picture of the bun in the oven was a baked alaska!!  So I sent her a picture of Dustin in his "I'm a big brother" shirt, that used to be Joshua's.  Then she got it.  Way to go, Mom!

I'm thankful that all is going well, even though I feel so crummy.  I'm still trying to recover from my 3-week long illness in addition to another week of uselessness... catching up on laundry and housecleaning, and generally trying to keep my head above water.  Some days I don't feel like I'm doing a very good job.  Having another baby requires an incredible amount of faith and trust in God... 

2 comments:

  1. Wahoo~ this was fun to read :) Thanks for the shout out! haha.
    i really still love the name Rose for a baby girl LaRue... :) 14 weeks... Wow, this is going to be a quick pregnancy for all of us who were in the dark for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally it's out! Yay!
    I love pregnancy journals.... I reread mine ALL the time. Fun to read other peoples too!
    "Having another baby requires an incredible amount of faith and trust in God... " Isn't that SO true for so many of us in all different ways. Wow.
    I was writing in my journal today that I pray daily for - obviously healthy & a safe pregnancy/delivery - but for peace, comfort, faith, trust and NO fear. God answers...but not as much as I would like. I figured He grants me what I need and holds back a little so I don't ever stop praying or get to a place where I feel I can 'do it' on my own.
    Yay, for 2nd trimester! Prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete