Thursday, March 12, 2009

Grieved

After the sewer guy left this morning, I wanted to go into town to run a quick errand.  So I had “the talk” with the kids; they've been a handful whenever we've gone into a non-fun store lately.  ~Be good, and it’ll only take a minute.  Be bad, and it’ll take longer, and you’ll lose out on going to Playspot.~

Dustin was being an angel.  He was looking at stuff, but not being bad.  

Then there was Joshua.

First, the whining.

Then, something I had asked him to hold...he and Dustin were talking and Joshua ran up to him and swung the thing at Dustin’s face, cutting his eyelid.  Dustin screamed.  All of this happened within 2 minutes of being in the store.

Dustin was inconsolable.  Of course we had to leave – we went to the van.  Joshua got an earful from me (but I kept my cool and didn’t yell).  They both cried – it took about 20 minutes before Dustin could even open his eye so I could make sure he hadn’t been cut on his actual eyeball.  (He was OK.)  


I think I know a little bit how God must feel when His children deliberately disobey, especially when they end up causing hurt to each other.  For me, it's a combination of "sad" and "angry"... and then the word hit me - "grieved".  God is grieved at our disobedience and defiance.  He is grieved when we don't think about how our actions will affect others.  He is grieved when I yell at my kids undeservedly... or when I neglect duty for the sake of selfishness... the list goes on and on.  When we know better, but don't do better...

Oh God, help us...

1 comment:

  1. I think the "grieving mom" thing is going around here too. Its hard to focus on the mini successes in the face of rampant immaturity and dis-obedience. Somedays I just want to pull a blanket over my head in despair. Occasionally I plead with the older kids to "remind me why I want to be Mom" and then we all laugh! I'll pray for you - will you pray for me too?

    ReplyDelete