Thursday, April 16, 2009

Highs & Lows

Last night I was asked if I would sing with a worship team for church this coming Sunday, and rehearsal was last night.  It worked out well - I would rather have been in Calgary visiting Paige, but with everything that went on with Baby these last few days, my doc wants me to stick closer to home now.  So anyway, rehearsal was last night...and how incredibly refreshing it was!!  

My Good Friday singing went well - rehearsal was a bomb - I forgot some words, but the service singing went phenomenally and I felt like God was right in there - just the way I like it!...  So anyway, I guess our new music pastor was impressed enough (impressed isn't the right word...) that she asked if I'd sing with her for this Sunday.  And...it was SO nice to work with musicians who cared deeply about their skill, but who cared more about their attitudes of worship and about serving their God with the gifts He'd given them, to the best of their abilities.  People treated each other with respect and sensitivity...it was great.  So different from some of the other experiences I've had.

I came home feeling totally refreshed, my fuel tank topped up.

And then I woke up this morning.

Long story, but when the kids go to a certain person's house for more than a couple of hours, I have major attitude issues the next day.  More than just a touch of sassing.  It is frustrating & disheartening... I feel disrespected at some of the things they do with my kids after I've asked them not to, only to find out that they did the exact thing I was so specific about...  Problem is, I will never be able to get away from these people, and I am constantly steamrolled.

So I'm frustrated on two levels.  Kids' attitudes and the fixing thereof, and disrespect coming from the other side of the fence.  

Do I keep the peace, and let this keep happening?

Or do I confront yet again...and find another option?  Breaking the peace again?  Causing strife?  I feel like although I'm the one who is being wronged, that I'm the bad guy if I bring up the issues again.  

I've learned there's a difference between peaceMAKING and peaceKEEPING.  

Peacekeeping - not causing waves.  Letting status quo remain as status quo.  Letting the water go under the bridge...but beneath the surface, it's stormy.  Everyone puts on the happy face for the sake of...who?  What?

Peacemaking - doing what it takes to resolve conflict respectfully and dealing with the issues.  And then trusting that when you deal with the issues, they're dealt with, and that you should never have to revisit those things except for gentle reminders only if necessary.  Being loving, Godly, and respectful.

We've tried the peacemaking.  Several times.  To the point of tears and sweat... trying to 'fix' the issues instead of just sweeping them under the rug.  But it's not working.  So I'm at a loss.

God, intervene...heal...repair...restore...and protect my kids' hearts in the process...

No comments:

Post a Comment